Borderlands 3 isn’t quite having the launch Gearbox may have hoped for it. Though the reception has mostly been positive so far — you’ll need to wait a bit for our final thoughts, but Jez Corden has an early impression — people are discussing a host of problems that have popped up. This is typical for any AAA game the size of Borderlands 3, but it doesn’t make the bugs we run in to any less frustrating.
And because Borderlands 3 launched on the Epic Games Store, players are bypassing Epic’s abysmal forums and actually troubleshooting and discussing their PC problems over on Steam’s forums. Seriously.
Known bugs and launch issues
- Players are reporting that upon joining another player’s game who is further than they are, all quests up until that point will complete and all audio will play at once.
Performance and graphics
- Frame rate drops have been reported across consoles and PC at various locations, especially when aiming down sights.
- Those using ultrawide monitors may notice parts of the screen cut off during cutscenes.
- Audio can cut out at times.
- If DirectX 12 is enabled on PC, you may not be able to get past the Claptrap loading screen before the game begins.
- Players may need to double click on items in menus for it to register.
- Menus frequently lag and stutter.
- Playable characters may drift slightly to the right even when not touching the thumbstick on Xbox. Adjusting the sensitivity of the thumbstick in the menus seems to fix this.
- Some players are not seeing their pre-order bonuses or Deluxe Edition content download automatically. To fix this, try to search for them in the Microsoft tore and download them individually.
If you’ve encountered any issues yourselves that we haven’t mentioned, please let us know in the comments. This list isn’t exhaustive by any means, and there are surely a lot more that will pop up as more players get their hands on Borderlands 3. It’s worth noting that some of these can be fixed by simply exiting the game.
Gearbox has not said anything about an upcoming patch, but one is likely in the works to fix at least some of these issues.
Prepare for the fight of the galaxy
Borderlands 3 promises a ton of action and mayhem. Pick your new favorite Vault Hunter and get ready to save the worlds. No pressure or anything. Oh, and watch out for the wildlife.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.